Monday, April 15, 2013
The cabin finally has a roof!
My sister Valerie helped me quite a bit with it. At this point, the I-joists are up, the plywood is laid, and it is covered with tar paper. I'll be gone a week now, but end of April we plan to put the final roofing on and do a lot of the 'little' work involved with finishing off the roof, as well as put on another coat of adobe! Still lots of work to do, but now it really looks like a cabin!
My cabin with a roof
Valerie hammers in the last of the brackets that will hold the I-joists.
On Wednesday, April 10, Simkins-Hallin delivered 20 24-foot I-joists,
as well as the plywood to cover them.
A balancing act, putting on the I-joists
Laying the I-joists in their brackets
Valerie admires our finished product.
We got all the I-joists in place that afternoon yet.
And we got one sheet of plywood laid before calling it a day.
Thursday I spent the day working on the roof alone. I got all the rest of the plywood on the roof.
Side view with all the plywood on.
Friday, Valerie and Elgin came out again to help finish securing the plywood, and we also trimmed the edges all around. Elgin is a good nailer!
By Friday evening it began to look like a respectable cabin.
The inside of the cabin looks much different with a roof overhead!
Saturday I was back at work putting tar paper over the plywood.
The late-evening light illuminates the landscape and the tar-papered roof.
Mother came out Monday to inspect the progress and was duly impressed!